Ferrycarrig was engaged by Next DC to carry out 33kV electrical Feeder installation for the S3 Data Centre in Willoughby NSW.
The NEXTDC S3 facility is currently serviced by a number of 11kV feeds providing significant power to the site. This project aims to increase the power supply via four permanent 33kV feeds from the Willoughby Substation replacing the existing feeds from the Main HV Switch room.
The new feeds will be delivered in 2 phases with the first phase (this project) providing the site with more than 70 MVA of power. The second phase of the 33kV delivery will form a separate project which will be delivered immediately after. The works are predominately located within the carriageways between the Willoughby Substation and the S3 site located at 2 Broadcast Way Artarmon.
The scope of work included level 1 Accredited Service Provider (ASP1) works including but is not limited to:
- DBYD and services scan to verify all existing inground
- Geotechnical investigations to finalise thrust bore design
- Manage and obtain any necessary permits, approvals and clearances including those required to be issued by Council, Service Authorities, Transport for NSW and other statutory authorities
- Coordination and liaison with Ausgrid to arrange pre-construction meetings, project planning submissions and in compliance with preconditions, milestone inspections, and information to support the works to a satisfactory standard for pre-electrification and coordination of electrification
- Completion of all civil works including trenching and excavation of bore shafts up to 9m deep in rock
- Completion of 150m 1200 dia. Thrust bore under existing 132kV electrical feeders
- Provision of temporary works, fencing, hoarding, etc. to protect the works and the public
- Management of all stakeholders affected by the proposed works. Complying with DA conditions of approval
- Management of traffic management including relocation of bus stops and managing bus routes through the work site
- Permanent reinstatement and final restoration of works in accordance with Council requirements.
- Managing and undertaking the commissioning of the additional power supply including protection settings preparing all necessary supporting documentation to secure Energisation Outage from Ausgrid.
This project is a complex urban electrical installation, requiring careful planning and execution. The 9m deep thrust bore shafts within the road corridor needed to be completed in a constrained work area to maintain traffic flows. The 12 cable pulls from Willoughby STS into the Next DC HV switchroom will be a technically challenging task, requiring meticulous preparation to ensure success.
Importantly, Ferrycarrig will work collaboratively with Ausgrid and Next DC to ensure the planned commissioning phase goes as planned and the new power supply is provided in accordance with the project milestones which have been contracted.