Ferrycarrig carried out service relocations for Sydney Program Alliance on the Warringah Freeway Upgrade Project.
The Warringah Freeway Upgrade in North Sydney will provide the link between the future Northern Beaches Tunnel and the Western Harbour
Tunnel. It will allow a motorist to travel on a single roadway from the Northern Beaches, through the Western Harbour Tunnel and into the
WestConnex roadways system.
Ferrycarrig was engaged by Sydney Program Alliance to deliver the early works package which involves a variety of service relocations to enable the
main works. Ferrycarrig’s scope of work included the following:
- Trenching, conduit install and backfill for all proposed underground electrical network and ASP Level 1 & 2
- Removing 8 banks of Asbestos conduits spanning 50 m across the Warringah freeway and replacing with Stainless Steel conduits – All works completed at night under freeway road closures.
- Cable Installation and Jointing
- Coordinating and undertaking works necessary to complete outage and cutovers (ASP Level 1 & 2)
- Key challenges associated with the delivery of the works included working along busy roadway, congested underground services, and working at heights to replace conduits under Ernest St Bridge. Ferrycarrig was commended by Ausgrid for the quality of the conduit installation across the Ernest Street Bridge
- Installation and commissioning of 2 new twin DN500 and DN600 SCL watermains on either side of the Warringah Freeway
- All pipe was welded together onsite with 100% Non Destructive testing (NDT) and 100% inspections.
- Key challenges associated with the delivery of the works included working along busy roadway, working within 500mm of a high pressure Gas main and working in deep excavations of over 3m. By following our Ground penetration permit and working with the high pressure gas spotter we were able to complete the works safely.
Alternate Transport Link
- Completing all bulk earthworks, FRP and finishing works for a 480 m long 3 m wide Alternate Transport Link (ATL) connecting Ernest Street
to Warringah road across the Cammaray golf course.
- Over 400 m Stormwater pipes, pits and channels completed
- Over 7000 m3 of cut and fill completed
- Over 1200 m3 of unsuitable ground remediated
- All signage, handrails and retaining walls completed
Key challenges associated with the delivery of the works included a very tight program, heavy rainfall impacting the earthworks and FRP works. A dedicated crew was put in place to ensure environmental compliance during the heavy rain events. Ferrycarrig was able to meet the client’s tight deadline by planning our work around the dry days and ensuring areas were sealed prior to the rain events so that work could commence immediately following the rain.