Ferrycarrig has been engaged by Downer to complete a treatment plant upgrade at Winmalee Wastewater Treatment Plant as part of a nutrient removal project to lower the level of pollutants discharged by the plant.
Ferrycarrig delivered the Inlet Works including:
- Completion of initial earthworks
- Construction of two stages of piling works comprising a total of 22 piles ranging from approximately 3m to 7m deep
- Installation of underground services including electrical pits and conduits, stormwater pits and drainage, bypass line and reclaimed effluent pipes
- Construction of a concrete retaining wall
- Construction of an Inlet Works Structure with walls to be lined with an HDPE- liner approximately 12m x 15m x 3m high
- Construction of a bin slab and electrical kiosk plinth
- Construction of a DN1800 inlet maintenance hole on top of an existing DN1050 pipe.
Ferrycarrig also delivered the Biosolids Upgrade, Thickening, and Chemical Civil Works including the construction of the following items:
- Completion of earthworks
- Installation of underground services including electrical pits and conduits, stormwater pits and drainage, reclaimed effluent pipe, and sludge pipework
- Construction of a Rotating Drum Thickener Bund
- Construction of a Waste Activated Sludge Pump Bund
- Construction of a Liquid Polymer Bund
Construction of Citric and Sucrose Bunds
Construction of drainage sum pits
Construction of a chemical delivery bund
Construction of a dewatering structure footings and dewatering mezzanine
Construct plinths, pavements, steps, kerbs and access ramps
Installation of bollards
There were several specific challenges to be overcome including working within a live wastewater treatment plant. Communication with our client, Downer, and Sydney Water treatment plant operators was critical to ensuring that our works do not impact the normal operation of the treatment plant. Services proving was critical to ensuring that no services were damaged as this has the potential to impact the normal operation of the treatment plant.
These two packages of work are in Downer’s critical path for the upgrade of the treatment plant, so the works required detailed and accurate planning to ensure there was no delay to the overall program.